Wednesday, December 31, 2008

A Cup of Joe

It's New Year's Eve and I sat down at my laptop with a big cup of coffee to read my daily ration of blogs. Then I checked my email and found an alert from Medscape Today that got me thinking about that cup of coffee.

Those of you who know me as a friend or have trained with me know that I am a coffee fan. I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, don't eat sugar or processed foods, but I do drink coffee everyday and with great pleasure. I start the day with a cup or two and I often have another in the early afternoon. When I eat out in restaurants, since I don't eat sugar for dessert I will order a cup of decaf with cream and add my own splenda for a rich and comforting finish to the meal while others indulge in the sweet treats. Today's article from Medscape supports my coffee drinking, but of course there are a few caveats.

According to the Medscape article which reports on a study from the Annals of Internal Medicine, after looking at questionnaires filled out by 85,000 women and 40,000 men the data shows that regular coffee drinkers (2 cups a day) have a lowered risk of heart disease and the data holds true even for those who drink decaf. The assumption about why has to do with chemicals called phenols and minerals like magnesium that are present in coffee that may help to reduce inflammation and help regulate blood sugar. For women, those 2 cups a day came out to a 25% lower risk of heart disease. That is worth thinking about. One small caution - moderation is still a good thing. Another study showed that if men drink 6 or more cups of coffee a day it can double their risk of heart disease.

If you have worked out with me I have probably mentioned another study, this one is a couple years old now. Older exercisers were studied to compare the pain reducing effects of coffee to over the counter drugs like Advil and Tylenol. The results showed that people reported a 45% reduction in post exercise soreness if they had the equivalent of 2 cups of coffee post workout - for those of you who get the Starbuck's venti you are getting plenty in one cup! In that study it did matter if the coffee was caffienated, but the assumption still had to do with the anti-inflammatory properties of phenols and caffeine in combination.

Body builders have long used caffeine before their workouts to give them an edge and swear by it's effectiveness in getting them through a workout at their best. And why shouldn't they? We know that coffee pumps you up, stimulates your nervous system and boost mental alertness - all things that help get you going and keep you safe in the gym.

Since drinking coffee doesn't make me jittery, or keep me awake at night (as long as I stop by 3-4 o'clock) I think I will stick with my coffee habit for a bit longer!

1 comment:

  1. I love cofee also! Glad to hear this is a habit I can keep!

    Tama

    ReplyDelete