Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Balance

My new class is being taught at the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute and is targeting balance training for people in the second half of life. (For those of you new to the blog, I assume we will all live to 100 if that helps you to figure out who is in the second half!) This class is a new venture for me so I am learning even as I teach. What I am learning from this class is not all about physical skill. Certified trainers always do some form of assessment before working with clients. For this class I used a Medical and Health Behavior Questionnaire, a Balance Efficacy Scale, and 11 basic tests of balance and strength to gather information that would help me plan the class to best meet the needs of the people who attend. What most impressed me about the information I gathered was the confidence and positivity of my class members. Although a number of the class members are facing health challenges as they age, they rate their quality of life as good and remain confident in their abilities to meet the challenges that are before them. They don't let the changes in their physical condition overwhelm them. They remain active in the community and a number of them volunteer their time to charitable causes. They engage in intellectual pursuits. As a result, they are interesting and stimulating people to be around. We have lots of fun in the class and we laugh every day. The members of my class are models for how to stay strong in the second half of life, physically, emotionally, intellectually, and socially. That is a balance that I hope to achieve in my own life. There is magic in the teaching/learning equation. When you learn something you have the opportunity to go out and teach it, and when you teach something you almost always learn something more from the experience.

2 comments:

  1. The blogs are enjoyable to read! I am keeping up with fitness while we are on sabbatical in Tallahassee. I tried out the chair balance today. I could do it ok, but with eyes closed, could not do it on one side, so that showed me a place to practice. It is spring here, i.e., the redbuds, dogwoods, and azaleas are blooming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Terry,

    It is great to hear from you. I'm envious that you are already enjoying spring in Tallahassee - my daffodils look like they might open tomorrow or the next day and the crocus finally showed their colors, but no trees are blooming yet!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete